University of Johannesburg UJ Architecture
The Faculty of Art Design and Architecture (FADA) is home to 1 360 students, housed in the purpose-built FADA Building on the Auckland Park Bunting Road Campus. The building is equipped with a number of specialised workshops, studios, computer laboratories, common lecture venues, an auditorium, a gallery and a subject-specialist library. The Faculty is also home to UJ Arts & Culture, based on the Auckland Park Kingsway Campus (with cultural offices on the Doornfontein and Soweto Campuses), which runs two professional theatres and an art gallery, and offers a dynamic range of public-facing cultural programmes for students and professionals.
The faculty has nine academic departments, namely the Department of Architecture, the Postgraduate School of Architecture, the Department of Fashion Design, the Department of Graphic Design, the Department of Industrial Design, the Department of Interior Design, the Department of Jewellery Design & Manufacture, the Department of Multimedia, and the Department of Visual Art. We also have two research centres: Visual Identities in Art and Design (VIAD), and the NRF South African Research Chair (SARChI) in South African Art and Visual Culture.
Our graduates are employed nationally and internationally in diverse areas of industry, or work as freelance designers, architectural technologists or independent artists. Whatever their preference, they have been thoroughly prepared as professionals in the highly competitive fields of art, design and architecture through creative and entrepreneurial development, which are key elements in the programmes offered.
The Faculty works closely with industry to ensure that its professional programmes remain relevant and competitive, and to keep students constantly exposed to changes occurring in the practising worlds of art and design. In the course of the year, recognised national and international artists, architects, designers and academics are invited to address students. The FADA and UJ Galleries host important public exhibitions throughout the year, and the annual student exhibitions showcase the best student work for public viewing.
Through our international partnerships, we increasingly offer students the possibility of participating in short learning programmes, projects, and/or exchanges to the United States, Europe, and elsewhere in Africa. FADA students are also encouraged to participate in international competitions. The Faculty annually hosts international conferences and seminars, and is the home of the Johannesburg laboratory of the international DESIS (Design for Social Innovation and Sustainability) network, which seeks to understand how design can best serve the emerging needs of broader society from a multidisciplinary platform.
Placement in the programmes is limited, and there are additional requirements for entry, including entrance assessments.
Tel: +27 11 559 4555
e-mail: [email protected]
Directions & Maps:
Auckland Park Campus
Bunting Rd Campus
- List of Courses Offered at UJ University of Johannesburg
- University of Johannesburg UJ Courses
- University of Johannesburg UJ Faculties
- University of Johannesburg UJ APK Campus
- University of Johannesburg UJ Account Number
- University of Johannesburg UJ Academic Calendar 2021 – 2022
- University of Johannesburg UJ Address APK
- University of Johannesburg UJ Admission Requirements
- University of Johannesburg UJ Application Forms 2021 – 2022
- University of Johannesburg UJ Banking Details
- UJ BTech Business Administration Course
- University of Johannesburg UJ Bunting Road
- University of Johannesburg UJ Business School
- University of Johannesburg UJ Brochure
- University of Johannesburg UJ Bridging Courses
- University of Johannesburg UJ BCOM Accounting
- University of Johannesburg UJ Bcom Accounting Requirements
- University of Johannesburg UJ Bcom Fees
- UJ BTech (Hospitality Management) Course
- University of Johannesburg UJ Bachelor of Arts BA in Politics